When it comes to wines that are rich, intense, modern with traces of the old world, big on flavor and pricey there is no other wine like best Super Tuscan wine.

With no real rules to govern the making of this type of wine producers develop them to reflect their own style and tastes. The main taste of the best Super Tuscans comes from the use of Sangiovese (the grapes commonly used in the making of this wine) however the flavors vary based on the combinations of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah or even the exclusion of the Sangiovese altogether. Whatever the blend the best Super Tuscans can fall into any of the four categories: 100 percent Sangiovese wines, Sangiovese blends, Merlot-based wines or Cabernet Sauvignon-based wines.

As much as wine makers made their own rules in the making of the best Super Tuscans the laws still served as a guide to ensure that only the best quality wines made it to the shelves. The quality control of the wines produced has been so rigid that even the very best super Tuscans produced during bad years are not issued.

Super Tuscans can cost thousands for older vintages however there are affordable brands that taste just as good. Here is a breakdown of some of the best Super Tuscans.

Sassicaia is the name that immediately comes to mind when wine lovers consider the best of the best Super Tuscan. The first vintage from 1968 can be purchased for close to $10,000 a bottle and while that might sound like a lot to pay for a bottle of wine, collectors willing shell out the money just to get their hands on a bottle. Today Sassicaia is still produced and more recent vintages of the wine can be purchased at an affordable $99-$150 a bottle.

Tignanello is another Super Tuscan that has been rated for its excellent quality for every single vintage of the wine. Made from 80% Sangiovese, the other 20% is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. Recent vintages can be purchased for under $100 and are just as good as the older vintages. Another great blend from Antinori is Solaia which is the opposite of Tignanello that is slightly more expensive but can rival Sassicaia in quality and taste.

Ornellaia, a Bordeaux styled blend has been rightfully praised for its taste, versatility and quality. Be prepared to pay somewhere between $100-$200 for a bottle but it is well worth the money.

If you’re dining out and want to enjoy the unique taste of the best Super Tuscans on a budget it is possible to do so. Although the name Super Tuscans and affordable rarely go hand in hand times have changed and wine lovers can today entice their palettes for less than $50. Here are just a few of the best affordable Super Tuscans.

Romito di Romitorio Sant’Antimo Rosso is a 60:20:20 blend of Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvigon and Canaiolo Nero that is aged in barriques for 14 months. The wine is produced by Castello di Romitorio who has been in the wine making business since 1986.

Roccato Rosso, the 1999 vintage from Rocca delle Macie is made completely of grapes harvested by hand from the Macie vineyards in Chianti. Sangiovese and Cabernet is blended in a 50:50 proportion giving the wine a good mix of the sharpness of the Sangiovese with the fruitiness of the Cabernet Sauvignon.

These two examples of affordable but high quality wines are meant to open your mind to the fact that you don’t always have to spend a fortune to get the best Super Tuscans wines. On the other hand if you are celebrating a very special occasion you might want to splurge and taste the best of what Tuscany has to offer.